Re: Free non-software stuff and what does it mean. [was Re: General Resolution: Force AMD64 into Sarge]

On Mon, Aug 02, 2004 at 06:33:10PM -0400, Glenn Maynard wrote:

> > I think "preferred form of modification" still works here -- if the form
> > is too large to be easily passed around, it's clearly not preferred.
>
> I disagree.  The preferred form of modification for these movie clips is
> the original lossless data, or the AfterEffects, etc. data, and so on.

I disagree.  The preferred form of modification is completely subjective
and depends on the individual who is modifying the software.  Subjective
opinions aren't going to work for policy.  For non-program files such as
multimedia or publications, there should be a master list of MIME types
and a voted-on list of acceptable source code formats for each MIME
type, in the case that upstream does not certify that the file was
created as-is from scratch (example: capturing directly via hardware or
via a software filter to a MPEG-4 or Vorbis file).

The archive maintainers should participate in such voting, because it's
their machines that will be storing the uncompressed DV files that would
end up in the archive if their opinion was not present.

> I agree with the practical issues you're talking about.  I often create
> stylized text images with Photoshop and don't bother saving the PSD, because
> it's easier to just remember how to create it from scratch than to organize
> and store that much source.  I do think this is an important and very common
> case to consider, but I don't think it's a way out of the source-for-images,
> etc. question, because in many of these cases, the preferred form for
> modification really does exist, and really is preserved for future modification.

It's a matter of practicality, and should be up to the package
maintainer, with policy such as described above to decide borderline cases.
If the package maintainer makes a bad/impractical decision regarding the source
format, nobody is going to host his package for download.  So it ends up
being a Darwinian filter.

--
Ryan Underwood, <nemesis@icequake.net>