Re: ocaml, QPL and the DFSG: New ocaml licence proposal.

On Sat, Jul 31, 2004 at 10:30:15AM -0700, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Sven Luther wrote:

> >>Yes, there is an English translation.  That translation is
> >>non-authoritative, and specifically states that "the French version is
> >>authoritative".  Therefore, it is irrelevant if the English version is a
> >>Free license, because that version is non-binding.  We would need to
> >>specifically check the authoritative French version.
> >
> > That means that for a non-english speaker, each licence is non-free ?
>
> Not at all.  It means that an analysis of the English version that found
> it to be Free, while useful, would not not sufficient to say that a
> package under the license is Free, because the license specifically
> states the following:
> > 11.5. LANGUAGE
> >
> > The Agreement is drafted in both French and English. In the event of a
> > conflict as regards construction, the French version shall be deemed
> > authentic.
>
> This means that we do need a French speaker (or preferably several) to
> confirm that the English analysis also applies to the French version of
> the license.

I will be glade to take that role.

> > Seriously, you are only hiding behind the words, nothing is stopping you from
> > making an analysis of the english version. And as none here is a official
> > translator recognized by legal system, even if we were to declare the
> > translation accurate, this won't help.
> >
> > The fact to declare the french version authoritative is only there to be a
> > backup if this even comes to court over a difference of interpretation, it is
> > not to let you declare the english version as unusable.
>
> "a backup if this even comes to court" is another way of saying "if it
> ever turns out to matter what the license says".  We need to confirm
> that the authoritative version of the license is Free, and that requires
> understanding what the license actually says.  As described below, that
> will not be excessively difficult; we just need a few French speakers to
> confirm that the analysis of the English version also applies to the
> French version.

Yeah, but you are somehow implying that the translation is unthrustable, which
i believe it is not. Just that in case of conflict, the french version is
authoritative, but this is mostly for small nuance conflicts that may arise.

> >>I think that what we could do is this: get a couple of developers who
> >>speak both French and English to read the authoritative French version
> >>and the English version, and tell us "The translation is accurate".
> >
> > What about reading and comenting the licences in questions, and have a french
> > speaking dd (well, at least me, not sure if other would care about
> > debian-legal kind of analysis) check your assumpted reading with the french
> > version.
>
> That's actually exactly what I meant by...

Ok. It is just that for me to claim the translation is accurate is a bit not
very usefull. I doubt that i am a better translator than the one used for
doing the english translation, so i would thrust him more than me. But
following the arguments and checking them with the french original, that is
ok.

> >>debian-legal could then review the English version, and if there are any
> >>ambiguities in wording, ask those developers for clarifications based on
> >>the French version.  It's not ideal, but it would work.
>
> ...this.

But let's do so in another thread maybe.

Friendly,

Sven Luther