Re: W3 software license

Evan Prodromou wrote:
> The license looks OK to me, with the possible exception that it says
> "obtaining, using and/or copying this work" implies acceptance of the
> license.

That isn't a problem in and of itself; it often indicates the presence
of non-free usage restriction terms, but no such terms appear to be
present in this license.

> W3C® SOFTWARE NOTICE AND LICENSE
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
>
> This work (and included software, documentation such as READMEs, or
> other related items) is being provided by the copyright holders under
> the following license. By obtaining, using and/or copying this work, you
> (the licensee) agree that you have read, understood, and will comply
> with the following terms and conditions.
>
> Permission to copy, modify, and distribute this software and its
> documentation, with or without modification, for any purpose and without
> fee or royalty is hereby granted, provided that you include the
> following on ALL copies of the software and documentation or portions
> thereof, including modifications:
>
>    1. The full text of this NOTICE in a location viewable to users of
> the redistributed or derivative work.

This is fine; debian/copyright satisfies this requirement.

>    2. Any pre-existing intellectual property disclaimers, notices, or
> terms and conditions. If none exist, the W3C Software Short Notice
> should be included (hypertext is preferred, text is permitted) within
> the body of any redistributed or derivative code.

This just requires you to preserve copyright and similar notices.

>    3. Notice of any changes or modifications to the files, including the
> date changes were made. (We recommend you provide URIs to the location
> from which the code is derived.)

This is fine; debian/changelog satisfies this requirement.

> THIS SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION IS PROVIDED "AS IS," AND COPYRIGHT
> HOLDERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED,
> INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS
> FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR THAT THE USE OF THE SOFTWARE OR
> DOCUMENTATION WILL NOT INFRINGE ANY THIRD PARTY PATENTS, COPYRIGHTS,
> TRADEMARKS OR OTHER RIGHTS.
>
> COPYRIGHT HOLDERS WILL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, SPECIAL
> OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARISING OUT OF ANY USE OF THE SOFTWARE OR
> DOCUMENTATION.

Standard warranty disclaimer.  No problem here.

> The name and trademarks of copyright holders may NOT be used in
> advertising or publicity pertaining to the software without specific,
> written prior permission. Title to copyright in this software and any
> associated documentation will at all times remain with copyright holders.

No-op; perfectly fine.

> The mentioned 'W3C Software Short Notice' is:
>
> ---8<---
>
> $name_of_software: $distribution_URI
>
>     Copyright © [$date-of-software] World Wide Web Consortium,
> (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, European Research Consortium for
> Informatics and Mathematics, Keio University). All Rights Reserved. This
> work is distributed under the W3C® Software License [1] in the hope that
> it will be useful, but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied
> warranty of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
>
>     [1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/2002/copyright-software-20021231
>
> ---8<---

This is fine as well.

Overall, this license looks DFSG-free, and as far as I can tell, it is
compatible with the GPL as well.

- Josh Triplett