mpeg2enc code in simage

Hi,

I'd like to package some software (simage, from
http://www.coin3d.org/download/source-code/) which contains the source
code for mpeg2enc.  Simage per se is in the public domain, but
mpeg2enc is rather more encumbered (see below).

As I read it, the patent claims disallow this from Debian.  Is that
true?  Can it go into "non-free"?  If this is not allowable, is it
enough to build it without the mpeg2enc code enabled or do I need to
sanitize the *source* package too?

Thanks,
-Steve

----------------- mpeg2enc copyright ------------------------

/* Copyright (C) 1996, MPEG Software Simulation Group. All Rights Reserved. */

/*
 * Disclaimer of Warranty
 *
 * These software programs are available to the user without any license fee or
 * royalty on an "as is" basis.  The MPEG Software Simulation Group disclaims
 * any and all warranties, whether express, implied, or statuary, including any
 * implied warranties or merchantability or of fitness for a particular
 * purpose.  In no event shall the copyright-holder be liable for any
 * incidental, punitive, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever
 * arising from the use of these programs.
 *
 * This disclaimer of warranty extends to the user of these programs and user's
 * customers, employees, agents, transferees, successors, and assigns.
 *
 * The MPEG Software Simulation Group does not represent or warrant that the
 * programs furnished hereunder are free of infringement of any third-party
 * patents.
 *
 * Commercial implementations of MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 video, including shareware,
 * are subject to royalty fees to patent holders.  Many of these patents are
 * general enough such that they are unavoidable regardless of implementation
 * design.
 *
 * Please visit MPEGLA at http://www.mpegla.com/ for more information about
 * licensing.