Re: The Sv*n L*th*r drinking game

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 02:57:54PM -0400, lex@cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> Actually, the process Sven describes here seems to be happening.  Some
> people on the list abuse the other participants until they leave, and
> then claim consensus afterwards.  They may just as well procede to say
> that whoever left is an unclued idiot, because they are not around to
> defend themselvees anyway.  Sven's arguments seem clear and important
> to me, and it behooves us to pay attention and address them.

Sven's messages are constantly and deliberately laced with derision and
insults--in almost *every* message he posts.  Perhaps returning it with
a few tongue-in-cheek pokes such as this thread isn't the height of
professionalism, but he's without a doubt earned it (and none of us are
being paid to put up with it).

If he's not willing to present his arguments in a manner that doesn't
require us to put up with constant derision, then I don't think his
arguments are worth reading; nobody in Debian has an obligation to suffer
his behavior.  If he wants to convince me, at least, he'll have to
start by being civil, and as respectful as one stranger is expected to
be to another on a mailing list.  He consciously refuses to do so, and
I believe anyone who chooses to ignore him as a result is completely
justified.

Even the most heated arguments I've seen on this list (say, Branden vs
T.B.--a DD Deathmatch) have been far more productive, civil and rational,
and less derisive and condescending than Sven's behavior towards all of us.

> If you think Sven and I are exagerating, let me toss out a few examples from
> just the last couple of weeks:

Almost all of these are a direct consequence of Sven's behavior; we're
all tired of it, and none of us can be blamed for saying so.

--
Glenn Maynard