Re: Free Debian logos? [was: Re: GUADEC report]

Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>>No, you stated it fine.  A Free logo would be usable unmodified as the
>>logo for another project or website.  That would probably cause
>>confusion with Debian, but it is a legitimate use for a Free logo.
>
> We have accepted must-change-name clauses (which are worse) in the past based
> on the reasoning that causing confusion is not legitimate.
>
> The GPL's requirement that you prominently note your changes is for exactly
> the same reason.
>
> The 'no-endorsement' clauses common in BSD-style licenses are for the same
> reason.
>
> I believe that using the Debian logo or name unmodified as the logo or name
> for another project, without any clarification, in order to cause confusion

Hence the license I suggested, that required such clarification.

> about endorsement by Debian, or about what is Debian, or about who funds
> Debian, is not a legitimate purpose or use for a Free logo (or name!), and I
> hope most people agree with me.  The key point is that uses which are *not*
> likely to cause such confusion must not be prohibited.

Agreed.  However, using the unmodified logo _with_ clarification that it
was originally the Debian logo, and without making false statements
about Debian (which as far as I know you can't do anyway whether or not
you use the logo) should be permitted.

- Josh Triplett