Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 08:49:14PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 09:10:54PM -0400, Walter Landry wrote:
> > Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > > The difference between this and the prior example is that in the
> > > first case, the *government* has additional rights over the
> > > software, whereas in the second case, it is the *author* who has
> > > lesser rights over (control of) the software.  Yes, in this
> > > hypothetical jurisdiction, a mere copyright statement would be free;
> > > but we are concerned about freedom at the international level, so we
> > > need to take a "least common denominator" look at the rights of
> > > copyright holders.
>
> > So if the lowest common denominator (i.e. the law in all countries)
> > became
>
> >   "If you distribute something under the GPL, you must give the
> >   government a copy"
>
> > would the GPL be free?
>
> As a practical consideration, if the requirement extends beyond what
> we're already doing for crypto-in-main (e.g., if it requires us to send
> the government a copy *every time* someone downloads), I think we would

And even that, i think is not acceptable. Already our current policy to inform
the US governement of every contribution a member makes is an dangerous
privacy concern. And if you would go the chinese dissident way (or maybe the
iraqui freedom figther way :), a maintainer could get in trouble over this
reporting.

Friendly,

Sven Luther