Re: MySQL FOSS Exception

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 11:44:50PM -0500, Adam Majer wrote:
> Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:
>
> >http://www.mysql.com/products/licensing/foss-exception.html
> >
> >A few programs link currently the old non-GPL libmysqlclient10 in order
> >to retain compatibility with other free licenses which have known
> >problems and require exceptions (e.g. openssl). AFAIK the new
> >statement should allow all those program to link the current
> >libmysqlclient instead. See proftpd-mysql for an example of such kind
> >of programs.
> >
> >Comments?
> >

> I think their exception is to allow free software to continue to use the
> GPL version of MySQL software. They are doing this instead of reverting
> back to LGPL because they want to get $$$ for licensing client libraries
> for commercial software.
>
> I think MySQL will allow any free license to link with GPL MySQL, but I
> would still ask MySQL AB if a license not listed is still allowed.

That's exactly my thought. Let me consider that but for OpenSSL
specificity, we could yet link php4-mysql and probably other pkgs with
the current edition of the client library on the basis of this
statement. A list of rdepends (there are probably stable-only pkgs among them
too, sorry):

  aspseek-libmysqldb
  bayonne
  bitchx
  catalog
  courier-authmysql
  ctn
  ctn-dev
  dbf2mysql
  dbmail-mysql
  digitaldj
  dovecot-common
  exim4-daemon-heavy
  flow-tools
  freeradius-mysql
  gda2-mysql
  gda-mysql
  gnokii-smsd-mysql
  gpsdrive
  kannel
  kannel-extras
  libapache2-mod-auth-mysql
  libapache-mod-acct-mysql
  libapache-mod-auth-mysql
  libapache-mod-mp3
  libdbd-mysql
  libgnademysql1
  libgql-driver-0.5-mysql
  libmyodbc
  libmysqlclient10-dev
  libmysql-ocaml
  libnss-mysql
  libpam-mysql
  libqt3c102-mt-mysql
  libqt3c102-mysql
  libsasl2-modules-sql
  libvpopmail1
  libvpopmail-lmysql
  libvpopmail-mysql
  libwidestudio-mysql
  linesrv-mysql
  mailutils
  mailutils-imap4d
  mailutils-mh
  mailutils-pop3d
  motion
  mysql-navigator
  mysqltcl
  nagios-mysql
  nagios-plugins
  php3-cgi-mysql
  php3-mysql
  php4-mysql
  pike0.6-mysql
  pike7.2-mysql
  pike7.4-mysql
  pike7.6-mysql
  pimppa
  postfix-mysql
  prelude-manager
  proftpd-mysql
  prokyon3
  pure-ftpd-mysql
  python2.1-mysqldb
  python2.2-mysqldb
  python2.3-mysqldb
  sqlrelay-mysql
  tcl-sql
  teapop-mysql
  ulogd-mysql
  vpopmail-bin
  www-mysql
  xlc

  Now, of course not all of them are compatible with the expection
  explicitly, but they could be considered. That's because we could
  expect divergency in libmysqlclient API soon or after and the
  upstream probably link with the current edition.

--
Francesco P. Lovergine