The Sv*n L*th*r drinking game
The procedure: attempt to debate something with Sv*n L*th*r, preferably in a
public mailing list. This way others can play along without having to
actually engage him in conversation.
Every time he does one of the following, take a drink.
* His rebuttal of your argument includes the word "bogus".
* He accuses you of not having done basic research, such as reading the
document in question, or not having read the other messages in the thread.
* He defends his lack of knowledge by claiming the thread was too long to
* He accuses someone else of lying.
* He thoroughly misinterprets someone's argument.
* He uses "proof by assertion" to make his argument.
http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2004/07/msg00872.html ("french judge")
* He accuses others of arguing by assertion.
* He uses "proof by higher authority".
* He rejects valid arguments against his position as off-topic.
* He introduces "evidence" utterly unrelated to the topic at hand.
* He bemoans how other participants in the thread are wasting his time.
* He complains that he wasn't notified of a discussion.
* He complains that he was notified notified of a discussion in a way he
* He defers to unspecified specialist advice he has received, without giving
the actual details of this advice.
* He defends his abuse of others with unspecified abuse by others in the
* He attempts to stifle opposition by publically refusing to engage in
discussion with a person, and claiming to refuse to recognise any decision
made with the input of that person. (Take two drinks if it's you he's
trying to get rid of).
* He states that previous (unspecified) claims he made were not answered.
* He accuses people of not reading points of view they don't agree with.
(One extra drink if he combines this and the previous point in the same
* He says he doesn't want to discuss the matter any further, and then
proceeds to continue discussion.
* He attempts to halt discussion by jumping around different threads, making
the conversation disjoint and hard to follow.
* The word consensus is used in very variable ways, depending on the
* The lurkers support him in e-mail.
After enough time spent playing this game, his arguments may start to make
sense. Sometime before that, however, you will probably be in the hospital
getting your stomach pumped.
[suggestions welcomed on further additions to this list]