Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On Fri, Jul 23, 2004 at 05:54:29PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > "The license of a Debian component may not restrict any party from selling
> > or giving away the software ..."
> >
> > I believe "may not restrict" is the operative phrase; this is a restriction.
>
> I think we need to include the rest of that sentence is important, though:
> "as a component of an aggregate software distribution...".  I would
> fully support an amendment which made it explicit that DFSG #1 applied to
> individual distribution also, but as written I think it is mostly a
> protection for commercial Debian distributors, and a restatement of DFSG #9.

The "component of an aggregate ..." phrase is usually read as a specific
restriction which is allowed: restrictions like "this may only be distributed
along with other programs"[1] are free.  DFSG#1 certainly applies to non-
aggregate distribution, as well.

I think it's pretty much the same thing, anyway; most licenses apply
restrictions on distribution--not caring whether it's aggregated or not.
The QPL's restrictions on distribution still apply if aggregated with
other works, so DFSG#1 applies even if we accept your argument.

[1] Bundling with "hello world" to form a trivial aggregate is generally
expected to satisfy this; anything stronger, such as "must be bundled with
at least 10 megs of other stuff" would probably be non-free.

--
Glenn Maynard