Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On 2004-07-21 13:14:19 +0100 Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 12:24:35PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
Are you sure about this? As far as I can tell, a notice published in a newspaper is regarded as "effective notification" if it meets some
In international IP/copyright/contract law ? I have serious doubts about
this.

It works in various cases, so why not this one?

Care to get some real legal advice supporting that fact ?

No. I have a finite number of friends with legal training and I make requests of them only when absolutely necessary. I'm quite OK with remaining worried about this clause for now, as other things are worse about it so should be resolved first.

[...] Do you seriously expect a judge to
accept that a newspaper notice in some remote country is binding to you ?

No, but I suspect a newspaper notice in my country or region might be.

If you are able to make a lawsuit against someone, claiming he didn't cumply with a broadcaster request, what will you answer to the judge when he asks
  you why you don't just plain send that guy a letter ?

I'm not interested in prosecuting this, but I would reply: It is not required by law.

Well, my abrasiveness has been trained by years of participating in debian
mailing list, so you get only yourself to blame.

Other people succeed in remaining polite after years here, although there are a few exceptions. Try to be a success, not an exception.

Well, serious now, would you go to your upstream with such ridicoulous claims ?

Probably, yes. I would tell them that this has worried debian-legal and it would be good to rebut or resolve this.

I would have nothing against it, but the burden is on dbeian-legal to provide
solid legal foundation for these request, just having a bunch of
would-be-lawyers make half-backed outrageous requests is not going to cut it,
and threatens the credibility of debian-legal as whole.

Again, not helpful. If you want to push it, the "burden" is on QPL'rs to get consensus about why/how this follows the DFSG, if they want QPL'd works in debian. There are threats to the credibility of this list, but I don't think discussion is one. The abusive behaviour of contributors might be, or if we just accepted proof by assertion, that would be far worse.

Personally, I find OSI's "get the licensor's lawyer to justify acceptance" approach far more incredible. So far, the lawyer is probably not an affected free software developer or user, nor someone with much experience of free software concepts.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast