Re: GPL-compatible, copyleft documentation license

On 2004-07-21 11:10:33 +0100 Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:

* Andrew Suffield:
I call bullshit. Who said it was designed to be applied to computer
programs?
The license itself mentions "program" several times, the FSF writes on

Actually, it usually mentions "Program" many times, which is defined in clause 0 to include other things:

0. This License applies to any program or other work which contains a notice placed by the copyright holder saying it may be distributed under the terms of this General Public License. The "Program", below, refers to any such program or work, [...]

- from Free Software Foundation's "GNU General Public License" Version 2, June 1991, seen at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

its web pages that the GPL was "originally designed for software" (the
FSF software, like almost anybody outside Debian, uses "software" in a
narrow sense that doesn't include documentation), and I'm sure you can
find statements from RMS or Eben Moglen that say similar things.

Let's have a quote about what software is:

SOFTWARE: no other word so thoroughly connotes the practical and social effects of the digital revolution. Originally, the term was purely technical, and denoted the parts of a computer system that, unlike "hardware," which was unchangeably manufactured in system electronics, could be altered freely.

- from Eben Moglen's "Anarchism Triumphant", in First Monday issue 4.8, seen at http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue4_8/moglen/index.html

Ask: why the topic drift in dictionaries? Well, free software is persuasive and if many people start seeking the freedom to use, adapt and redistribute non-program software, the dictionary publishers get shown up pretty early on. Some dictionaires are free software, but a lot of the "big names" are not.

Please email about: BT alternative for line rental+DSL;
Education on SMEs+EU FP6; office filing that works fast