Re: Summary : ocaml, QPL and the DFSG.

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 09:05:24PM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 12:32:53PM +0200, Bernhard R. Link wrote:
> [compelled unrelated distribution]
> > For DFSG 5: What about the group of people that is in countries that
> > impose an embargo or export restrictions on countries the "initial
> > developer" is in.
> > Consider something like a ssl-library was under this licence in the
> > times where those were more strictly handled and the "initial developer"
> > was outside the USA.
>
> Ooh, good one.  That still applies, even -- if there's QPL'd software
> written by an Iranian, the requirement to distribute anything back to the
> original author on request totally screws you.  It's even worse, because you
> might reasonably think "well, the original author will never hear about my
> specially linked version, so it's OK", so you distribute to friends, who
> distribute to friends-of-friends, it gets back to the original author and he
> compels you by the terms of 6.c to distribute in contravention of the laws
> of your country.

Well, the fact that some national country has bullshit law (and this goes for
both the US and France in regard to crypto), is of no consequence to the DFSG.

Just move our servers out of the US, and into free country, and everyone will
be happy.

Already the fact that we report the debian activity of every participants to
the US secret aganecies, as part of the crypto in main thingy, is dubious
enough.

Friendly,

Sven Luther