Re: Re: Help about texture inclueded in stellarium

I'm going to deal with these one at a time, to avoid really long messages.

        * The Earth texture was created by NASA using data from the MODIS
                instrument aboard the Terra satellite.? Further
information is
available
                from http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/

If it was really created by NASA -- which is part of the US government --
then
it is in the public domain, like all creations of the US government.

Chloe Hoffman wrote:
While a work may be in the public domain in the U.S., it may be under
copyright elsewhere.
This is normally possible...

So, e.g., while works by the U.S. government may be
public domain in the U.S., they may remain under copyright in other
countries.

But I believe that that *cannot* happen.

The international copyright treaties, if I am not mistaken, only grant copyrights to works which are capable of being subject to copyright in their 'home countries'.

For works created by the US government, the 'home country' is always the US. They are public domain ab initio; they can *never* be subject to copyright in the US, and hence not anywhere else either.