Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

> On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 11:17:51AM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:

>> > Well, as said, i did some legal consulting, and the mention that a TV
>> > broadcasted request for patches should be legally binding did bring in some
>> > round of laughter.
>>
>> Did you explain to your legal advisor that this is a broadcast request
>> in the context where you're operating within a license obliging you to
>> obey such requests?
>
> Yeah, sure. It is not binding.

Then you can safely ask upstream to remove it from the license, right?
Then we don't have to worry about it.  A shorter, simpler license can
only be a good thing.

>> > Furthermore, i was mentioned the fact that the request should be
>> > nominal, both to the modificator and the actual patch involved,
>>
>> I apologize, but I cannot understand what you mean by a request being
>> nominal to the modifier or the patch.  Where does this idea of
>> "nominal"ness appear in the QPL?
>
> You Brian, i know that you modified my work with patch foo. As the QPL point
> 6c mentions, i request from you that you send me the changes in question.
>
> In a formal letter, sent as recomande awith avis de reception in france, so
> you get proof not only that it arrived, but your signature in the avis de
> reception. But then, i guess a fedex or DHL or whatever such sending would do
> too.
>
> This is the way i imagine a legally binding request, and the way such business
> is conducted here. And i send such recomande avec avis de reception, for all
> critical stuff, including employer disputes, house contract resignation and
> such.

Ah!  So if they put the source code to the ocaml compiler up there,
with the QPL, is that not binding either?  How can this copyright
license be valid if it is not given to me by name?

-Brian