Re: GPL-compatible, copyleft documentation license

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 11:27:39AM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-07-12 09:30:26 +0100 Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
> >  In the copyright holder's understanding, re-imposition of the
> >  requirements of sections 2a and and 2c by those creating a derivative
> >  work is not allowed, since those restrictions never attached to this
> >  work; see section 6. [...]
>
> I don't follow the reasoning of this part. The GPL section 6 says any
> "recipient automatically receives a license from the original licensor
> to copy, distribute or modify the Program subject to these terms and
> conditions" and I thought "these" was the GPL, not GPL + any extras.

Well, I used to think that myself, until Steve Langasek and Henning Makholm
argued me to exhaustion.  :)

  Debian interprets "this License" and "herein" to mean the conditions of
  the GNU GPL expressed in its text; no more and no less.  We interpreted
  the PHP-Nuke author's additional restriction as just that, with the
  consequences you'd expect from the above.  In our assessment, PHP-Nuke
  isn't licensed to the public at all (as far as we can tell), and we
  cannot distribute it -- even in our "non-free" archive.[1]

If you really feel you're right about this, I invite you to take up
Henning's and Steve's challenge.

> Therefore, 2a and 2c further restrictions must be applied to the
> entire work by any redistributor, as you only stated a proviso rather
> than granted a general exception to 2a and 2c, didn't you?

I intended "proviso" to mean "general exception", and have since updated
the wording of the license.

> Then again, I wouldn't argue this in court unless forced :D
>
> --
> MJR/slef    My Opinion Only and not of any group I know
> http://www.ttllp.co.uk/ for creative copyleft computing
> "Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
> my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden

I grant you permission to quote me without the ellipsis.  Here, I'll even
actually say it that way.

Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what my liver is
sure to say about him in 40 years.

/me eyes the Laphroaig in the other room, and struggles to control the
Barney Gumble within

[1] Message-id: <20030507080546.GS6476@deadbeast.net>

G. Branden Robinson                |    Sometimes, getting your patch in is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    just a matter of waiting for
branden@debian.org                 |    somebody else to reimplement it.
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ |    -- Jonathan Corbet