Re: RE-PROPOSED: The Dictator Test

On Mon, Jul 19, 2004 at 08:34:52PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:02:25AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> > I think the Dictator Test itself is highly questionable, and even more
> > its rationale.  It's a disguised attack on copyleft in general.
>
> As the proposer of the Dictator Test, I call bullshit.

And as one of the formulators, I'll call it right along with you.  I think
copyleft is great, and quite within the bounds of the law.  What I don't
like is licences saying that, in exchange for the permissions given you need
to give up some rights which you ordinarily be entitled to without the
licence.

As a measure of my support of copyleft, pretty much all of the software I've
written over the last few years is GPL, and I've convinced my employer to
use the GPL for some of the software I've written for them.

Let it not be said that I am anti-copyleft.

- Matt