Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 04:39:13PM -0400, lex@cc.gatech.edu wrote:
> I have argued that it may well be *good* for a license to specify choice
> of venue.  It is a nice thing to know which laws apply to the agreement,

Indeed, much that it may well be good for a woman to be able to nurse her
child at the breast, it's a nice thing to know that men often have hairy
chests[1].

> But don't take my advise, however much logic it may be based on.

...or, moreover, how much command of basic facts you exhibit.

> Just watch what real lawyers are doing.

And if we don't, I'm sure we can trust you to tell us, showing the same
mastery of legal fundamentals as you have above, right?

> Real lawyers seem quite happy with these clauses, both when offering and
> accepting them.

You may want to inform the Board of Trustees of Columbia University that
they don't have a Real Lawyer teaching their students[2].

[1] Hint: "knowing which laws apply to the agreement" is a function of a
"choice-of-law"[3] clause, not a "choice-of-venue"[4] clause.

[2] http://emoglen.law.columbia.edu/
    http://python.fyxm.net/2.1/fsf.html

[3] http://www.uslegalforms.com/lawdigest/legal-definitions.php/US/US-CHOICE_OF_LAW.htm
[4] http://www.fraserlawfirm.com/Publications/Business/BS-Venue.html

--
G. Branden Robinson                |     If God had intended for man to go
Debian GNU/Linux                   |     about naked, we would have been