Help about texture inclueded in stellarium

Hi,

a few month ago stellarium was removed from debian because of uncleared
copyright info.

The upstream author made a great work and we have now all the
information we could expect. However, my question is what should we do
(Upstream author and me) in order to upload the package in main.

The question is about pictures in the Public domain, or Picture
downloaded on website such as NASA.

About the Hipparcos star catalog we have the proof that if feets DFSG.
(see copyright)

[from the debian/copyright file]
About the textures:
-------------------

They are comming form different sources, clearly identified below,
however not all of them are free. Thus, this package cannot be included
in main and remains non-free.

Included source code
        * glpng PNG loader library for OpenGL v1.45 (10/07/00)
                by Ben Wyatt ben (at) wyatt100.freeserve.co.uk
        * Iniparser library Copyright (c) 2000 by Nicolas Devillard.
        * The stellastro and stellplanet libraries are mainly subsets of the
                libnova library (GPL) by Liam Girdwood (liam (at) nova-ioe.org)
        * The orbit.cpp/h and solve.h files are directly borrowed from
                Celestia (Chris Laurel). (GPL)
        * Other pieces of code and ideas are from Celestia too.

Data
        * The Hipparcos star catalog
                From ESA (European Space Agency) and the Hipparcos mission.
                ref. ESA, 1997, The Hipparcos and Tycho Catalogues, ESA SP-1200
        * The solar system data mainly comes from Celestia.

Graphics
        * All graphics are copyrighted by Fabien Chéreau except the ones
                mentioned below:
        * The Earth texture was created by NASA using data from the MODIS
                instrument aboard the Terra satellite.  Further information is available
                from http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Newsroom/BlueMarble/
        *  Mars texture map is from James Hastings-Trew's collection.
        *  Moon texture map is Courtesy USGS Astrogeology Research Program,
                http://astrogeology.usgs.gov. (Public Domain)
        *  All other planet maps from David Seal's site: http://maps.jpl.nasa.gov/
        *  The snowy landscape textures are from the GPL game tuxracer.
        *  The fullsky milky way panorama is created by Axel Mellinger, University
                of Potsdam, Germany. Further information and more pictures available from
                http://home.arcor-online.de/axel.mellinger/
        *  All messiers nebula pictures except m31, Orion and the Pleiades from
                the Grasslands Observatory : http://www.3towers.com
        *  M31, Orion and the Pleiades pictures come from Herm Perez :
                http://home.att.net/~hermperez/default.htm

[../end of copyright file/...]

In attachement, you could find the whole copyright file I've written for
stellarium.

Do you believe that I can upload it to main ? If no what should be
done?

You can find the package and its source at :
http://machard.org/debian/

Thanks in advance,
P.S. Please CC: me on reply, I am not on this list
--
                                Pierre Machard
<pmachard@debian.org>                                 http://debian.org

This package was debianized by Pierre Machard <pmachard@debian.org> on
Fri, 16 Jul 2004 12:03:19 +0200. This package was inspired by the
previous maintainer Cédric Delfosse before it has been removed from
Debian for copyright troubles.

It was downloaded from  http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/stellarium/stellarium-0.6.0.tar.gz?download

Upstream Author: Fabien Chéreau <chereau@free.fr>

Copyright:
	GPL-2 (see /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL-2)

The astronomical data are from the Hipparcos data catalogue of ESA
(the European Space Agency). We'd like to acknowledge ESA for the
valuable data of this catalogue and the Hipparcos mission.

WHY IS THE PACKAGE IN NON-FREE:
-------------------------------

Stellarium can be broken as 3 parts:
 - the source code,
 - the astronomical data,
 - the textures.

About the source code:
----------------------

The source code is licensed as GPL, so there is no problem with it.

About the astronomical data:
----------------------------

The astronomical data are from the Hipparcos data catalogue. Here, I
will copy a message sent by a scientist of the Hipparcos project, to the
 maintainer of the Debian spacechart package:

"""
	ESA wishes to encourage the use and visibility of its results.
	I can confirm that you are essentially free to make use of the
	Hipparcos data as you wish (for example, as you have described).

	What ESA is does expect, as you have noted, is a suitable
	(and suitably prominent) message acknowledging ESA and the
	Hipparcos mission. The details are left to your discretion.

	Good luck

	regards

	Michael Perryman
	Project Scientist, Hipparcos
"""

So, the Hipparcos data catalogue license complies with the DFSG. A
message acknowledging ESA has been put in this copyright file.

About the textures:
-------------------

They are comming form different sources, clearly identified below,
however not all of them are free. Thus, this package cannot be included
in main and remains non-free.

Included source code
        * glpng PNG loader library for OpenGL v1.45 (10/07/00)
                by Ben Wyatt ben (at) wyatt100.freeserve.co.uk
        * Iniparser library Copyright (c) 2000 by Nicolas Devillard.
        * The stellastro and stellplanet libraries are mainly subsets of the
                libnova library (GPL) by Liam Girdwood (liam (at) nova-ioe.org)
        * The orbit.cpp/h and solve.h files are directly borrowed from
                Celestia (Chris Laurel). (GPL)
        * Other pieces of code and ideas are from Celestia too.

Data
        * The Hipparcos star catalog
                From ESA (European Space Agency) and the Hipparcos mission.