Re: Termination clauses, was: Choice of venue

David Nusinow <david_nusinow@verizon.net> writes:

> On Fri, Jul 16, 2004 at 02:13:38PM -0400, Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
>> The developer hasn't promised to obey the license.  I distribute
>> software written by others all the time.  I'm not sued by them because
>> they licensed me to do this under the GPL, but I wouldn't even have to
>> know about the GPL in order to do this legally.
>
> But your behavior is still constrained in that (in the case of the GPL or QPL)
> if you modify the software and distribute it you must agree to the terms of the
> license. I don't understand how this is not a promise.

I haven't promised the FSF anything, but I distribute and modify their
software all the time.  Maybe I don't agree to the GPL.  Maybe,
someday, I'll fail to note my changes at the top of every file!
Bwahaha.

And if I ever do that, what would they be able to do to me?  Get mad
because I broke a promise?  No.  Get mad because I violated their
copyright?  Yes.  The GPL is not a promise I've made.  It's an offer,
and a nonrevocable one at that, from them to everybody else.

-Brian