Re: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On 2004-07-15 02:25:50 +0100 Walter Landry <wlandry@ucsd.edu> wrote:

[...] For almost every license discussion
on -legal, there is little discussion about what the actual software
does.

I consider this a bug, not a feature. We simply don't have the tools for analysing licences without application to software, so nearly always some software is used to facilitate the analysis, even hypothetical software.

[...] I simply don't buy it that a license might
be free for one kind of program but not free for another.

Good. I think the argument you are referring to is this one:

Now, it is true that authors can add additional clauses to change the
status of a license. [...]

I don't agree that this is "using a different licence" though. It's using the same licence in combination with some other stuff.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden