Re: non-free license check: skype

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 01:20:54PM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Øystein Gisnås:
>
> > I just wanted to consult you experts before I post an ITP on this
> > package. As far as I can see, the license (attached) holds for the
> > non-free section.
>
> This is from their web site:
>
> | (b) You are allowed to redistribute the Software, under the conditions
> | that you (i) do not modify the Software; (ii) do not remove any
> | proprietary notices from the Software; (iii) notify Skype in writing
> | via email to distribution@skype.net of your intentions to promote or
> | distribute the Skype software; (iv) clearly indicate that the Software
> | originates from Skype and use the links and graphics as published and
> | indicated on www.skype.com/go/redistribution and, if published on a
> | website, include a link to www.skype.com and a link to the download
> | location of the Software; (v) constantly monitor www.skype.com in
> | order to ensure that you are distributing the latest stable version;
> | and (vi) do not distribute the Software for any (commercial) gain,
> | including but not limited to including the Software in any commercial
> | software bundle. However, the publishers of computer magazines for end
> | users are allowed to distribute the Software for free with their
> | magazines, provided that they meet with all aforementioned conditions.
>
> I don't think it's practical to include software under this license
> even in non-free.  The notification requirement is too cumbersome, and
> the hyperlink requirement can only be fulfilled by extensive
> modifications of our mirroring infrastructure.

I'm not sure what you refer to as notification, but if it's writing an
email to them, that shouldn't be a problem since contacting the author
is part of the packaging process in any case.

I see the hyperlink as more of an obstacle. I guess one can say that
debian packages are being published on a website. I'm pretty sure it
wasn't abuse through this kind of distribution Skype wanted to protect
themselves against, but that doesn't make it more legal.

--
Øystein Gisnås <oysteigi@stud.ntnu.no>
NTNU, Department of Telematics