summary construction, was: DRAFT: debian-legal summary of the QPL

On 2004-07-14 03:55:57 +0100 Josh Triplett <josh.trip@verizon.net> wrote:

If you are going to ignore constant factors, then you might
as well say that both approaches will require O(n) summaries.

As far as I can tell, -legal only gets asked about a few packages under any licence, so the appeal to O(n) would ignore significant constants.

[...] If you start
from a license summary, you just need to ask "how does this differ from
the general case", not "how does this differ from <insert possibly
obscure package here>'s case".

I don't see that there is much difference in work between the two cases. Usually, looking at a package with "baggage" could still note something might be a problem, but we have waiver/clarification X, so we'll defer this work. Why do work that we don't need to do and that we're not tooled for, analysing in the abstract?

This is where we are at the moment. I thought the summaries were an
attempt to reduce the digging, but they seem to have drifted.
How so?

Summaries hereto seem to restate views without many references. All on the web site so far only give a link to one discussion, if that.

"Matthew Garrett is quite the good sort of fellow, despite what
my liver is sure to say about him in [...] 40 years" -- branden