Re: Choice of venue, was: GUADEC report

Matthew Garrett wrote:
> MJ Ray wrote:
>
>>On 2004-07-13 11:14:45 +0100 Matthew Garrett
>><mgarrett@chiark.greenend.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>Enforcement (or lack thereof) of a patent is arbitrary, yes.
>>
>>Needing a DFSG-free patent licence is not news to me. If we have a
>>patented software, then it's non-free without such a licence. Are
>>there other circumstances where GPL 7 offers arbitrary termination?
>
> Any situation which inhibits your ability to carry out any of the GPL's
> requirements results in you no longer being able to distribute the code.
> I still don't see how this is any less of a practical problem for
> users than the copyright holder being able to terminate the license.

It isn't any less of a practical problem.  However, it is a less
preventable problem.  Debian can simply not accept revokable licenses,
but Debian cannot in any way prevent claims by third-party patent
holders.  Arbitrary patent claims cannot be prevented, but that does not
mean Debian should stop distributing all software.

- Josh Triplett