Re: request-tracker3: licence problem

Okay, I'm forwarding what Jesse and BestPractical's lawyer have put
together as a replacement appendage to the GPL in their licence.

The old version:

| Unless otherwise specified, all modifications, corrections or
| extensions to this work which alter its source code become the
| property of Best Practical Solutions, LLC when submitted for
| inclusion in the work.

The new version:

| By intentionally submitting any modifications, corrections or
| derivatives to this work, or any other work intended for use with Request
| Tracker, to Best Practical Solutions, LLC, you confirm that you are the
| copyright holder for those contributions and you grant Best Practical
| Solutions,  LLC a nonexclusive, worldwide, irrevocable, royalty-free,
| perpetual, license to use, copy, create derivative works based on those
| contributions, and sublicense and distribute those contributions and
| any derivatives thereof.

To my mind it addresses the problems raised in d-l, to whit:

  * It makes clear that you have to be the copyright-holder to submit
    contributions.

  * In the event of a fork, you needn't submit contributions to
    BestPractical.

Regardless of whether or not this can be enforced in specific
countries, it is now compatible with the GPL as far as I can tell.

Can anyone who had a problem with the old licence appendage confirm
that the new one looks okay?

--
Andrew Stribblehill <ads@debian.org>
Systems programmer, IT Service, University of Durham, England