Re: RE-PROPOSED: The Dictator Test

On Mon, Jul 12, 2004 at 10:02:25AM +0200, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The wording of the test is simply not clear enough.  After all, it was
> motivated by a mere notice which was arguably not even part of the
> license text.  I'm not sure if it's against such licenses, certain
> licensing conditions in general, or only if they use some buzzwords
> ("by using this software, you agree to ...").

It's fairly simple, IMHO.  If you would have been able to do something
without any licence / permission grant / contract / whatever, and the
licence says that you can't do that something, it cannot be a free licence.

There are juristictional issues which I don't think will be particularly
difficult to work out with a bit of common sense[1], but the core of it is
that, under a free licence, the licensor can't force you to give up rights
you would have in the absence of the licence.

Any remaining confusion?  Let's get it sorted out.

- Matt

[1] We're all screwed, I know that.