Re: GUADEC report (java-gnome)

Hi,

On Tue, 2004-07-06 at 20:57, MJ Ray wrote:
> On 2004-07-06 18:17:45 +0100 Matthew Garrett <mjg59@srcf.ucam.org>
> wrote:
> > [...] The consensus appears to be that GNOME will never ship code that
> > can't be run with free Java implementations.
>
> This is good news. Well done to GNOME.

Note that this has always been the case because of the fine work of Mark
Howard the Debian java-gnome package maintainer. He made sure that
java-gnome always worked with kaffe or gij (the GNU interpreter for
java) as distributed by Debian. The debbuggtk, GTK applications for
managing Debian bug reports, are written in the java programming
language and depend on these packages. My own free software that is
build on gnome and written in the java programming language has also
always been developed and deployed on Debian (with only free tools and
libraries obviously). http://www.klomp.org/snark/snark-gnome.html

Debian has actually always leaded the way regarding java-gnome being
completely free software. Thanks for that!

Cheers,

Mark

P.S. Recently Anthony Green started making sure that gcj (the GNU
compiler for java, a GCC frontend) can also be used for speedy native
java-gnome gcj programs. These native compiled java-gnome libraries will
hopefully soon become a standard part of jhbuild. His progress can be
tracked at: http://spindazzle.org/java-gnome/