Re: Contracts and licenses

Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:

Arnoud Engelfriet <galactus@stack.nl> writes:

> Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > Here, I send you this shell script I have written, which highlights
> > 3com devices: 'cat /proc/pci | tr 3 \*'.  I grant you a license to
> >  use, modify, and distribute it, and to distribute any derived works
> > you make -- HOWEVER, I demand you send me a dollar for this.
> >
> > Now, are you obligated to send me a dollar?  If not, why not.  You
> > *have* the license.  I granted it to you.  How can I enforce our
> > contract?
My response: I do not accept the license grant. Therefore, I have rejected your offer and so I am not bound to do anything in return.
So if you say you want to give me your watch, and I say I want it, can
you not accept my desire, and so reject my offer to receive your
watch?

After there is an offer and an acceptance, a contract is formed (which can result in legal remedy if one of the parties defaults).

The offer to give the watch ("you say you want to give me your watch") is the offer, "I say I want it", the acceptance. After these two actions are perfomed, a contract is formed.

In the case of the shell script, a contract is offered by 'me': "I grant you a license to use, modify, and distribute it, and to distribute any derived works you make -- HOWEVER, I demand you send me a dollar for this.", but not necessarily accepted by 'you'.

If the contract were accepted by 'you', there would be an obligation for 'you' to send 'me' a dollar (If 'you' does not deliver the dollar, 'me' could take the matter to court, where 'you' might be compelled to do so). If not, neither party has any obligation: It is not possible to have obligations under a contract without accepting it.

Acceptance need not be formal though: acting as if the contract has been accepted is sufficient to signify acceptance in most cases (so if 'you' modifies and distributes the program, this can be taken as an acceptance of the contract, and therefore 'you' is obligated to deliver the dollar).

The textbook example of this is getting on a bus: In posting their fares on the side of the bus, the bus company offers a contract to you (and everyone else that reads it) to provide carriage in exchange for money. By getting on the bus and giving money to the driver, you simultaneously accept the contract, and carry out your obligation under it. Should the bus break down, the bus company is contractually obligated to either refund your money, or send another bud to take you to your destination.

--
Lewis Jardine
IANAL IANADD