Re: RFC: moving from BSD to GPL

Francesco P. Lovergine wrote:

> Is it possible for an upstream to change license from a BSD-old to GPL?
> Consider the hypothesis that the product is a derivative work with a
> few old contributors. I see no reasons to do not relicense after adding
> a credits note as required in the BSD license.
>
> Comments?

4-clause BSD has a requirement in clause 3 which applies to all derived
works and is not required in the GPL.  The GPL does not allow distribution
of GPL-licensed works with requirements which go beyond the requirements of
the GPL.

Accordingly, you need to get all the old copyright holders to relicense
under 3-clause BSD (at a minimum).