Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in

On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 13:00:14 -0400 Raul Miller wrote:

> What makes this particular point in time significant?

I'm not sure I understand your question...  :(
It's not time that's significant, it's the operation you are performing.

What I'm saying (well, trying to say...) is that you are not adding
creative elements by just running the build scripts and/or using
makefiles.
Perhaps you are substituting some copyiright holders with others in the
resulting binary if you link against a different libc implementation (in
the "linking creates derivative" assumption): the ones who hold
copyright for the replaced libc. But the mere build process is not a
creative act, as long as it goes straightforward with no need to modify
anything.

If you are porting Emacs in order to link it against some strange libc
implementation that was not in the mind of Emacs authors, then you
possibily have to modify something in the makefiles and/or in the C
source files. Then you are performing two operations: modifying
(creative act: you add your name among the copyright holders) and
building (non-creative).

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,