Re: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

@ 16/06/2004 17:56 : wrote Andrew Suffield :

> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:22:34PM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
>
>> One can argue that the GPL linking clause (linking with this library
>> a derivative work makes)
>

> There is no point discussing this issue with you until you comprehend
> the GPL. Go and read it until you understand that there is no such
> clause.

I'm sorry, You are Wrong(TM). It's right there in  the "postamble" ("how
to use GPL"), the very last paragraph of [1]:

QUOTE

     This General Public License does not permit incorporating your
     program into proprietary programs.  If your program is a
     subroutine library, you may consider it more useful to permit
     linking proprietary applications with the library.  If this is
     what you want to do, use the GNU Library General Public License
     instead of this License.

QUOTED

What this is *TRYING* to say is: The copyright owner that licensed his
work under the GPL will regard any "incorporating" (later clarified as
"linking") work as a derivative work under the terms of copyright law.

This can be possible or not, and that's what I was arguing: If you don't
treat my work as I ask you to (regarding linking works as derivative
works), you have no right to distribute it.

Is the following code derived from glibc?

#include <stdio.h>

int main(int, char**) {
 puts("hello, world!");
 return 0; }

Is the (statically) compiled (by gcc) version?
Is the (dynamically) compiled (by icc) version? Remebember it can be
linked at runtime with dietlibc, p.ex.

[1] http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.txt

--
br,M