Re: Unfortunate Licence Mix

On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:04:48PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> I was just about to package "psybnc"[1], a popular irc bouncer.

> A closer look into the src/ dir revealed that the author seems to have
> followed the Free Software spirit by not re-inventing a lot of wheels,
> but didn't pay close attention to legal stuff...

> His own works are GPLed, and have correct copyright notes. But there are
> two files that worry me:

> snprintf.c:

This code should never be used on Debian systems for technical
reasons (glibc has a perfectly good snprintf() implementation, compiling
this other one in would be unnecessary bloat).

> (sorry for posting the whole thing, but with legal stuff, I better not
> cut away stuff that might be important).

> And the second file, bsd-setenv.c:

Depending on what "BSD" in bsd-setenv.c means, you may not need this
either when using glibc.  I presume that the code is conditionally
enabled, according to whether or not the system setenv is considered
usable?

If neither of these are actually used in the binary, no problem -- if
both licenses otherwise meet the DFSG, you can ship the sources as-is
without concerns over GPL-compatibility, because you just have an
aggregation of source code.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer