Re: Draft Summary: MPL is not DFSG free

Mahesh wrote:

> Something wrong here??
>
> I do a apt-cache show firebird-c64-server here, and get this :-
[snip]
> enhancing a multi-platform relational database management system based
> on  the source code  released by  Inprise Corp  (now known  as Borland
> Software Corp)  under the InterBase  Public License v.1.0 on  25 July,
> 2000.

As others noted, the Interbase Public License [1] is derived from the Mozilla
Public License, and appears to contain similar problematic clauses. For
reference, the Sun Public License (netbeans) [2], Netizen Open Source License
[?], SGI Free Software License B [3], GLX Public License [4], and Nokia public
license [5] also seem derived from the MPL. Debian previously classified the
latter three as non-free [6,7], although the "Claims of Infringement" clause in
the SGI licenses is slightly different, requiring a web page rather than a text
file. I guess in the Nokia discussion clause 2.1(b) of the MPL was noted as
violating DFSG #7, not #1, but it boils down to the same problem more or less.

1. http://info.borland.com/devsupport/interbase/opensource/IPL.html
2. http://www.netbeans.org/about/legal/license.html
3. http://oss.sgi.com/projects/FreeB/
4. http://www.sgi.com/software/opensource/glx/glxlicense.txt