Re: request-tracker3: license shadiness

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Josh Triplett wrote:
> Brian Thomas Sniffen wrote:
> > Michael Poole <mdpoole@troilus.org> writes:
> >># Unless otherwise specified, all modifications, corrections or
> >># extensions to this work which alter its source code become the
> >># property of Best Practical Solutions, LLC when submitted for
> >># inclusion in the work.
> >
> > This is a GPL-incompatible restriction.  It is also non-free.  Best
> > Practical Solutions has not transfered its copyrights to *me*.
> > They've given me a license under the GPL.  That's all they can assume
> > when I send them a patch for inclusion.
>
> Is it still non-free even though you are not required to submit patches
> to them for inclusion?

The problem here is that this clause could plausibly take effect if a
third party submits the patch to Best Practical Solutions, LLC.

Licenses that require the assignment of copyrights to the author of a
work are clearly not free. I'm fairly comfortable with considering
clauses that do assignment without the expressed approval of the
author of the patch non-free as well.

Don Armstrong

--
                    EQUAL RIGHTS FOR WOMEN
Don't be teased or humiliated. See their look of surprise when you

http://www.donarmstrong.com
http://rzlab.ucr.edu