Re: Mozilla Public License is non-free: stipulates court venue ?

On 2004-06-09 19:08:06 +0100 Lex Spoon <lex@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

I'm afraid that is a revisionist interpretation.  First, Mozilla is
certainly intended to be "Open Source", which is essentially the same as
what Debian means by "free":

The jury seems out on that. They could mean *anything* by "Open Source". http://mjr.towers.org.uk/writing/ambigopen.html

Even assuming they mean OSI's OSD and not whatever fuzzy idea, OSI seem to have a very different process to Debian and don't seem concerned with the four freedoms at all. "OSI Certified" seems to mean roughly "no-one found a flaw in the licence advocate's lawyer's analysis that we couldn't help them patch up" while "DFSG-free" should mean "there is rough consensus of debian-legal contributors that this could be part of the debian OS distribution without violating the debian social contract".

To the choice of venue problem, which I'm still not sure about:

Does the possibility of ruling by a distant court impact my freedom to distribute the work? Definitely, if they can get and enforce a ruling on me without having to prove their case or give me a reasonable opportunity to defend myself.

Is the default to appear in my local court? I don't know, but it looks like it from Articles 2 and 5.3 of the Brussels Convention on Jurisdiction and the Enforcement of Judgments in Civil and Commercial Matters.

Why don't venue clauses fail common tests like "tentacles of evil"?

--
MJR/slef
My Opinion Only and possibly not of any group I know.