Re: DFSG#10 [was: Re: Draft Debian-legal summary of the LGPL]

On Thu, Jun 03, 2004 at 10:34:47AM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> We have imposed that requirement upon ourselves[1].  We should not be
> forced into it.  That we have to distribute the copyright notice and
> license statement, which is a reasonable requirement, is not the same
> thing as requiring us to distribute them in a particular way.

This may be a nit, but we don't distribute the copyright notice in
/usr/share/doc/*/$FILENAME -- instead, that's the default location for
it to be unpacked.

A mirror server might never have the file at /usr/share/..., a chroot
debian system might instead have the file at /mnt/debian/usr/share/...,
or (if /mnt/debian/usr/share/ is symlinked to /disk2/ignore/, it might
be somewhere else).

Maybe what's important for the copyright is that there be a good chance
someone can find the file using the path /usr/share/doc/... with the
machine conditioned in some fashion?  But if it's a copyright issue,
this is probably more important on our mirrors (which generate most
copies of these files) than on end user machines.

--
Raul