Re: A radical approach to rewriting the DFSG

Glenn Maynard wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 08:12:28PM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
>> It's been allowed mostly because they don't really enforce it.  For
>> instance, Debian's modified version of Apache, which is a derived work,
>> has
>> "apache" in its name.  Furthermore, they've stated that they don't intend
>> to enforce it strictly, and it's not present in the new license.
>> I certainly wouldn't accept this clause in a license without additional
>> assurances from the copyright holder.  We said as much to X-Oz.
> libssl-dev/copyright: *    nor may "OpenSSL" appear in their names without
> prior written

Eeeew.  Well, isn't OpenSSL well on its way to being replaced by GnuTLS in
Debian anyway?

> apache-utils/copyright:     nor may "mod_ssl" appear in their names
> without prior

> php4/copyright:     may "PHP" appear in their name, without prior written

Ow.  Debian is clearly violating the PHP4 licence unless capital letters vs.
small letters are significant.  Better contact the copyright holders.

> permission subversion/copyright:nor may "Tigris" appear in their names
> without prior written

Perhaps Tigris could be contacted?  Interestingly, Debian is actually
*complying* with this license, unlike the others, since "Subversion" isn't
named "Tigris".

> and a particularly evil one,
> sudo/copyright:      may "Sudo" appear in their names without specific
> prior written

Again, unless capitalization is significant, Debian is violating the terms
of this license.  Someone (not me) should contact the copyright holder.

Thanks for pointing these out.