Re: A radical approach to rewriting the DFSG

On Sun, 30 May 2004 13:24:55 +0200 Francesco Poli wrote:

> > Comments will be appreciated - both about the general angle of
> > attack, and about my specific draft. I have probably forgotten about
> > a detail here and there.
> First comments

Antoher couple of comments:

* "A derived work can be anything from a slightly modified versions of
the original work to a completely new work that includes parts of the
original work in a new contexts. The term also includes translation of
works into other languages, compilation of programs to machine code or
bytecode, and other transformations that prepare the work for being
typo: s/versions/version/
typo: s/contexts/context/
proposed generalization: s/bytecode/pseudo-code/
               or maybe  s/bytecode/intermediate languages/

* "Rationale: A user in a remote location (say, any computer that is not
connected to the Internet) must have the freedom to contract with a
business to create a copy of the software and transport it to him. If
the licensing of the software prevents the business from getting a
profit out of this, the software is not truly free."
question: why such a complicated example?
Free software is not against business. It just aims to a different (and
better) kind of business (with respect to proprietary-software based
In other words: if commercial distribution is prohibited by the license,
then it's clearly non-free software.
I cannot see the need for a strange example to explain this...

             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,