Re: A radical approach to rewriting the DFSG

On Sun, 30 May 2004 09:06:18 -0700 Josh Triplett wrote:

> Francesco Poli wrote:
> > * question: "Such a restriction is exactly as silly as it sounds.
> > However, some otherwise free programs come with licenses that
> > specify that the program must not be sold alone but only as part of
> > an aggregate software distribution."
> > Do you regard those programs as free? Is there any consensus on d-l
> > about this awkward restriction?
>
> I believe the general consensus is that since the requirement is so
> trivially satisfiable, it is considered free.

Ah, I see your argument. Well, you're right that a trivial workaround
exists for such a restriction. As a consequence, the restriction is
almost absent. Awkward, but almost absent...

> As long as there is no
> restriction on how much additional software must be included, the
> requirement could be satisfied by either:
[...]
> * a one byte file containing "w", which would be a valid sh script to
> run the "w" command.

Wow! TSSSITHOCS!
(The shortest shell-script in the history of computer science)
  ;-)

--
             |  GnuPG Key ID = DD6DFCF4 | You're compiling a program
  Francesco  |        Key fingerprint = | and, all of a sudden, boom!
     Poli    | C979 F34B 27CE 5CD8 DC12 |         -- from APT HOWTO,