Re: ipw2100 firmware distributable?

Sebastian Ley wrote:
Hello legal wizards,

I need some advice about a license, my legal-english is not enough to
determine whether the ipw2100 (popular wifi chipset) firmware by Intel
is distributable in non-free.

The license can be found here:
http://ipw2100.sourceforge.net/firmware.php?fid=2

My problems are:
- Are we as Debian project a OEM or ISV?
- Since Intel requires an acceptance of this EULA, would I need to
  gather that acceptance too?
- If it is not redistributable, may I add a downloading feature to the
  postinst?

Someone actually packaged the firmware as RPM, which was approved by
the lead developer:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=8508767

Please CC me on replies, as I am not subscribed.

Thanks in advance,
Sebastian

It sounds pretty sketchy at best. I'd e-mail somebody at Intel and get specific permission, similar to what the packager for nvidia-graphics-drivers did:

http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/non-free/n/nvidia-graphics-drivers/nvidia-graphics-drivers_1.0.5336-9/copyright