Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

@ 12/05/2004 17:12 : wrote Henning Makholm :

No, but not necessary either. Versions of GCC have been done for
*many* proprietary operating systems. Many of these versions have been
AND operating "environments", too. Like Java. Like DOS/GW or whatever were those DOS 32 bit extenders. Like Windows when Windows was not an OS (Win 3.1).

folded into the code that the FSF itself distributes. In neither of
these cases has it been any problem that the proprietary operating
system itself is not released under the terms of the GPL.
Because there is none. Among folded back features, there is __far and __near pointers and other stuff.

In this case, therefore, it does not restrict my right to distribute
the hypothetical Palladium GCC, because I would give the recipient the
same rights as I got myself.
Well said.

--
br,M