Re: The draft Position statement on the GFDL

On Thu, May 06, 2004 at 09:57:41AM -0400, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> Now, again, some restrictions on creating derived works are generally
> considered acceptable.  But required inclusion of arbitrary lumps of text
> in a particular manner certainly isn't one of them (even with the
> oft-ignored GFDL restriction that they must be 'off topic').

The oft-ignored restriction that invarient sections must be off-topic
probably just makes the DFSG 3 problems worse: It also limits derived
works to not covering certain topics (or, at least makes their status
*very* unclear if they do cover those topics).

I can't use part of the GNU Emacs manual in my essay on software
freedom, because I'd have to include an invarient section about that
subject (but I can't because invarient sections have to be off-topic...)