Re: moosic package contains obfuscated code

On Wed, 2004-05-05 at 19:40, Nicolas Ã?vrard wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been playing with oggplayer recently and I've found moosic taht is
> written in python. I've tried to see what's in it and I inteded to play
> with it.
>
> But, the moosic python module appeared to be obfuscated.

Moosic is not obfuscated; it uses squeezeTool
(http://www.pythonware.net/storage/squeezeTool.py) to "compile" multiple
Python modules into one file. This is explained in the documentation for
Moosic.

> It seems to be
> the choice of upstream since the makefile in the original tgz is
> designed this way.

In the same way a C program's makefile generates an "unreadable"
executable from multiple source files, Moosic's generates an
"unreadable" base64 encoded set of Python bytecodes.

If you apt-get source moosic, you get the individual source files for
moosic, as you desire. There's no bug here.
--
Joe Wreschnig <piman@debian.org>