Re: Fwd: reiser4 non-free?

Markus Törnqvist wrote:

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 10:35:12AM -0700, Hans Reiser wrote:

No, that certainly is an option. Relocating the credits to somewhere reasonable for a particular installer is just fine with me.

Let's see what the Debian people say about showing the complete credits
in the preinstall screen during interactive installation and scrolling
through them automatically in a non-interactive one, for example.

I think the response will be "but it's still non-free" :P

Also, if every software showed their credits, there would easily be a ton
of them.
This is bad why? They could be interesting for users to read while the install proceeds.

I wouldn't mind it. However, it could get out of hand if we had
three-four-five screenfulls of credits during every boot. Then it's time
to /dev/null again...
Well, a really clever way of doing it would have a page describing what the program does with a little bit of credits at the bottom.

As a user, I am usually disappointed by how operating systems fail to take the opportunity to educate me while I wait for them to install.

Credits (as commercials and ads and stuff) should never defeat the purpose
of the entity of which they are a part.
I would really like Debian to understand the difference between credits and ads. Credits describe someone's contribution to the project. Ads describe some product for you to buy. Very different things.