Re: reiser4 non-free?

On Apr 24, 2004, at 07:40, Sami Liedes wrote:

Finally, nothing in this license shall be interpreted to allow you to
fail to fairly credit me,

Not defined at all, that's a nice land mine.

 or to remove my credits such as by creating
a front end that hides my credits from the user

That's rather funny, since I don't need his license to create a frontend (depending on how I do it, of course).

The only way I can manage to read this is restricting what programs may be distributed with it, or even worse asking me to agree not create such software as a term for receiving the "GPL" license.

Either are very much non-free. If its the latter, we couldn't even put this work in non-free.

or renaming mkreiser4
to mkyourcompanyfs or even just make_filesystem,

The part about without his permission is rather funny too, since the GPL gives permission to do these things.

Honestly, I think Reiser has added so many "clarifications" to the GPL which plainly violate the words of the GPL that he should just write his own non-free license.

Also, a clustering file system built to work on top of this file
system shall be considered a derivative work for the purposes of
interpreting the GPL license granted herein. Plugins are also to be
considered derivative works.  Share code or pay money, we give you the

Last I checked, (here at least) Congress defines what a derivative work is, not Hans Reiser. To the extent his definitions go beyond those of Congress (or your local equivalent), this license contaminates other software. Non-free.