Re: reiser4 non-free?

On Apr 24, 2004, at 07:40, Sami Liedes wrote:

Finally, nothing in this license shall be interpreted to allow you to
fail to fairly credit me,

Not defined at all, that's a nice land mine.

 or to remove my credits such as by creating
a front end that hides my credits from the user

That's rather funny, since I don't need his license to create a frontend (depending on how I do it, of course).

The only way I can manage to read this is restricting what programs may be distributed with it, or even worse asking me to agree not create such software as a term for receiving the "GPL" license.

Either are very much non-free. If its the latter, we couldn't even put this work in non-free.

or renaming mkreiser4
to mkyourcompanyfs or even just make_filesystem,

Non-free.

The part about without his permission is rather funny too, since the GPL gives permission to do these things.

Honestly, I think Reiser has added so many "clarifications" to the GPL which plainly violate the words of the GPL that he should just write his own non-free license.

Also, a clustering file system built to work on top of this file
system shall be considered a derivative work for the purposes of
interpreting the GPL license granted herein. Plugins are also to be
considered derivative works.  Share code or pay money, we give you the
choice.

Last I checked, (here at least) Congress defines what a derivative work is, not Hans Reiser. To the extent his definitions go beyond those of Congress (or your local equivalent), this license contaminates other software. Non-free.