psmisc and POSIX compliance

  I'm the upstream and Debian maintainer for psmisc.  One of the tools
in psmisc is fuser and I have had some requests to make it act more
like POSIX fuser is supposed to do.

the STDOUT and STDERR bits are useful and not too hard to implement.
I'd like to do these things but a bit worried about the POSIX copyright.
i'll probably add/modify some flags so they comply too.

Can I implement these features, using my own code and not having seen a
POSIX implementation, without causing any problems for me (which I don't
mind that much) and for Debian (which I mind a lot).

My guess is that any obstruction to me implementing some POSIX
compliance would be actually counter to what it is all about but I
though I'd check.

I'm not on debian-legal so please CC me.

 - Craig
Craig Small      GnuPG:1C1B D893 1418 2AF4 45EE  95CB C76C E5AC 12CA DFA5
Eye-Net Consulting http://www.enc.com.au/   MIEE         Debian developer
csmall at : enc.com.au                      ieee.org           debian.org