Re: Debian Legal summary of the X-Oz License

On Mar 8, 2004, at 20:27, Branden Robinson wrote:

since it is reasonable for the public to believe that if
any existing copyright license achieved the specific ends the copyright
holder desired, an existing license would have been used.

I don't find this argument to be, in general, convincing: We should not assume that a license's author had knowledge of all other licenses.

Now, OTOH, if we know the copyright holder took an existing license and changed it, then "why" is certainly a good question (especially if we don't see any obvious difference).