Re: problem with missing license -- what's the procedure ?

Jeremie Koenig <sprite@sprite.fr.eu.org> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm packaging miBoot, which is an oldworld powermac bootloader, to be
> able to cleanly build d-i boot floppies. However, the archive
> distributed by upstream is missing a license.
>
> I'm about to send a mail to the author about this, so:
>     * do I cc: debian-legal?

Probably not necessary, since there probably isn't a real legal
problem here.  If it gets complicated, then by all means cc:
debian-legal.

>     * would an email (possibly GPG-signed) stating that we can
>       distribute miBoot under the terms of the GPL be sufficient, or do
>       we absolutely need the license included together with the software?

An email is sufficient.  It should be quoted in the debian copyright file.

Regards,
Walter Landry
wlandry@ucsd.edu