Re: If DFSG apply to non-software, is GPL*L* incompatible with DFSG?

On Sat, Feb 28, 2004 at 11:54:45AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> The legal documents, *as applied to a particular package*, must be
> retained verbatim.  But the law itself doesn't prevent me from taking
> the GPL, modifying it, and using the modified version as a license for
> my own package.
>
> The GPL does, however, prevent this; and that is why I complained loudly
> about our stance on this sometime back.

I'm not crazy about it either, but given that there appears to be some
doubt (in the United States) as to whether the text of contracts can be
documented, the FSF may be in a murky area when it comes to the "TERMS
AND CONDITIONS" part of the GNU GPL.

I will say that it is not an issue I am sanguine about contending with
the FSF.

In my personal opinion, there are both more important differences to
resolve with the FSF first (the GNU FDL), and more important common
causes to cement (license proliferation, and defense of the community in
general).

However, I do not insist that your strategic calculus be identical to
mine.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    I'm sorry if the following sounds
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    combative and excessively personal,