Re: license for Federal Information Processing Standards

On Tue, 2004-02-24 at 16:12 -0500, Hubert Chan wrote:

> As mentioned in my previous mail, I am creating a package for
> hashcash.  The source for the package includes a document,
> fip180-1.txt, which is a copy of the Federal Information Processing
> Standards Publication 180-1 (the definition for SHA-1).  I am unable
> determine whether or not FIPS documents are free, and was wondering if
> anyone had any experience with that.

Below are the contents of a conversation that took place between me and
Elizabeth Lennon, the employee at the National Institute of Standards
and Technology that the FIPS page suggested to contact. I have added her
to the list of CCs of this email in hopes that she will be able to offer
her insight into any further questions that may arise. Ms. Lennon: I
hope that this is not a problem for you.